Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Interview with Michael Porter




I recently had the opportunity to ask Ex Wildcat Michael Porter some questions about his time in Lexington, here are his answers.


Q: What did it mean to you to play for the University of Kentucky?

A: I think I could go on forever and ever on this one. It was a huge honor to play for the University of Kentucky and is a huge honor to still be a part of that legacy. Being a "Wildcat" will forever be a part of my identity. Even though things did not end up on a perfect note for me, my love for that school is second to none.


Q: What was your relationship like with Billy Gillispie?

A: My relationship with coach G started out rough to say the least. I wanted out. But as time went on, I believe it got better. He was a tough coach to play for, but it made me a better person. When someone pushes you so hard, you can either quit or persevere. I believe I persevered and I thank him for pushing me further than I thought I could go.


Q: Did coach Gillispie try to kick Jodie Meeks off the team after losing to Notre Dame in the 2009 NIT?

A: if he did I never heard anything about it. This is the first I have ever heard that actually.


Q: Did you have a chance to talk with John Calipari when he was hired?

A: Yes. A few weeks into spring practice I went into his office and told him that I was not going to play anymore.


Q: Have you been to any Kentucky games since you left?

A: When I was living in Lexington I went to a few, but that was over a year ago.


Q: Do you keep in contact with any of your former teammates?

A: Yeah, I'm still friends with all the guys I played with. I talk some more than others. The guys who were in my class were probably who I was closest to.


Q: What did you think of Kentucky Final Four run this season?

A: Wow, what an amazing accomplishment. Wish I could have had that opportunity, but I am very happy for those guys and for the school. They proved a lot of people wrong and I was glad to see that happen.


Q: What is your favorite memory as a Wildcat?

A: My freshman year for Midnight Maddness was a great feeling. It was my first time in front of that kind of crowd. That feeling was awesome. I'd also say just the fans in general. What I saw most people don't through the media or Internet, was a loving and supportive fan base. I received hundreds of positive letter, emails, calls, etc. while going through some of my more difficult times.


Q: Which loss hurt you the worst?

A: Every loss hurt, honestly. I hate losing. But that Georgia game at home to end the season during my last year ranks among the worst.


Q: How has life been after Kentucky?

A: Life has been great. It's a tough adjustment moving from thinking I'm going to play basketball for the rest of my life to all of a sudden becoming a father and having to actually work! But I know God has placed me where I am today for a reason. I will use what I have learned to become successful and in turn help and inspire a lot of people.



I really enjoyed talking with Michael for this interview. He is an extremely good person and a joy to talk with.

Thanks again Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment