UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY vs. BUFFALO
NCAA TOURNAMENT | TACO BELL ARENA| BOISE, IDAHO
MARCH 17, 2018ATTENDANCE: 11,686
Final Score: No. 5 Kentucky 95, No. 13 Buffalo 75
Team Records and Series Notes
· Kentucky is 26-10 overall. Buffalo concludes the season 27-9.
· UK leads the series 2-0. This was the first meeting in the NCAA Tournament.
· Next for Kentucky: The Wildcats will play in the South Regional semifinal on Thursday in Atlanta.
NCAA Tournament Notes
· Kentucky made its national-record 57th NCAA Tournament, extending the NCAA record for most tournament appearances.
· UK owns a 126-50 record all-time in NCAA action.
· Kentucky is 28-6 in NCAA Tournament games under Calipari.
· Kentucky reached the Sweet 16 for the 26th time since 1975 (the first year that all teams in the tournament were required to win at least one game to advance to the Sweet 16), the second-most appearances.
· In Calipari’s eight NCAA Tournament appearances with Kentucky, the Wildcats have reached the Sweet 16 on seven occasions.
o Kentucky advanced to the Sweet 16 for the second year in a row.
· Kentucky is a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament for the second time, and first time since 2000.
o UK is 3-1 as a No. 5 seed.
· Calipari is undefeated in the NCAA Tournament against teams seeded lower than 10th.
In the First Half
· Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, Kevin Knox, PJ Washington and Nick Richards for the 16th time this season. UK is 11-5 with this lineup.
· Four of Kentucky’s first nine field goals were dunks.
· Buffalo started the game 4 of 16 from the field.
· Kentucky led by 11 at the 11:29 mark, but Buffalo started making 3s and cut UK’s lead to as little as five, 39-34, at the 5:21 mark.
o From there UK went on a 12-4 lead to open up a 13-point lead, it’s largest of the half, 51-38 at the 1:44 mark.
o UK held Buffalo without a field goal over 2:58 within that run.
· Kentucky’s 51 points were its third most in a first half this year.
o UK’s 19 made field goals tied for its second most in a first half this year.
In the Second Half
· Buffalo used a 9-0 run over 2:20 to cut UK’s lead to 56-52, with 15:32 to play.
· UK answered with a 7-2 run over 1:19 to pad the lead back to nine at the 13:42 mark.
· With Kentucky’s lead down to five at 72-67, UK closed the game on a 23-8 run over the last 7:36.
· Kentucky made seven 3-pointers, one game after failing to make a 3 for the first time in 1,047-consecutive games, which was the NCAA record.
· Kentucky’s 95 points were the third most it has scored this year.
· UK’s 36 made field goals were the second most it’s made in a game this year.
· Kentucky limited Buffalo to 38.8 percent from the field.
o UK is now 169-14 under Calipari when keeping the opponent under 40 percent from the field.
· Kentucky shot 56.3 percent from the field today. UK is 14-1 this season when the Wildcats make at least half their shots.
· UK led by as many as 20 points today. The Wildcats are 233-5 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points during a game.
· Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led all scorers with 27 points – three off his career high – on 10 of 12 shooting, including going 2 of 3 from 3-point range.
· He grabbed six rebounds, dished six assists and had two steals.
· Hamidou Diallo scored 22 points, one off his career high.
· He reached double figures for the first time since Feb. 24 vs. Missouri.
· It was his most points since he scored a career-high 23 vs. Monmouth on Dec. 9.
· He blocked two more shots tonight after swatting a career-high three against Davidson in the first round.
· Wenyen Gabriel finished with a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
· It was his first double-double of the season and the second of his career.
· He scored in double figures for the eighth time this season and 15th time in his career.
· He grabbed 10-plus rebounds for the fourth time this season and sixth time in his career.
· He made three 3s. He has hit multiple 3s in four of the last five games, and five of the last seven.
· PJ Washington scored 12 points and grabbed seven rebounds.
· Kevin Knox scored eight points on 4 of 10 shooting, but he was 3 of 3 on baseline mid-range jumpers.
· He is 8 of 9 on mid-range baseline shots through the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament.
· His four assists tied his career high for the fifth time.
Coach John Calipari
· Calipari has a 719-203 all-time on-court record.
· Calipari is now 275-63 at Kentucky.
· Calipari is 53-17 in the NCAA Tournament games.
· Calipari is 28-6 in NCAA Tournament games at UK.