UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY vs. DAVIDSON
NCAA TOURNAMENT | TACO BELL ARENA| BOISE, IDAHO
MARCH 15, 2018ATTENDANCE: TBA
Final Score: No. 5 Kentucky 78, No. 12 Davidson 73
Team Records and Series Notes
· Kentucky is 25-10 overall. Davison is 21-12.
· UK leads the series 2-0. Both meetings have come in the NCAA Tournament.
· Next for Kentucky: The Wildcats will play the winner of this evening’s Arizona vs. Buffalo game.
NCAA Tournament Notes
· Kentucky made its national-record 57th NCAA Tournament, extending the NCAA record for most tournament appearances.
· UK owns a 125-50 record all-time in NCAA action.
· Kentucky is 47-10 in tournament openers and has won 24 of its last 25 first-round tournament games.
o UK has won eight NCAA Tournament openers in a row, all under Calipari.
· Kentucky is 27-6 in NCAA Tournament games under Calipari.
· In Calipari’s eight NCAA Tournament appearances with Kentucky, the Wildcats have reached the second round every time.
· Calipari is undefeated in the NCAA Tournament against teams seeded lower than 10th.
In the First Half
· Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, Kevin Knox, PJ Washingtonand Nick Richards for the 15th time this season. UK is 10-5 with this lineup.
· Neither team led by more than four in the first 10 minutes.
o Kentucky opened up its largest lead, six points, with a 6-0 run over 2:30 to take a 23-17 lead at the 7:10 mark.
o Davidson answered with a Kellan Grady dunk at the 6:54 mark, but then UK went on a 7-0 run over 1:07 to open up a 30-19 lead.
· From tied at 17-17 with 11:39 to play, UK outscored Davidson 17-7 to close the first half.
In the Second Half
· Davidson made its first three 3-point-attempts of the half, and stretched further was 4 of 6 from beyond the arc in the first 11:52.
· Davidson tied the game at 52-52 and 54-54 at the 7:41 mark, but got not closer.
· Kentucky led by as much as 11 points in the second half as late as with 24 seconds to go.
· UK’s NCAA-record streak of 1,047 consecutive games with at least one made 3-pointer came to an end.
o UK’s last game without a made 3-pointer came against Seton Hall on Nov. 26, 1988 in a three-point loss.
o Kentucky’s streak started two nights later in a win over Cal.
· Kentucky limited Davidson to 39.3 percent from the field.
o UK is now 168-14 under Calipari when keeping the opponent under 40 percent from the field.
· Kentucky shot 51.0 percent from the field today. UK is 13-1 this season when the Wildcats make at least half their shots.
· UK had 10 turnovers today. UK is 14-0 this season when committing 11 or fewer miscues.
· UK led by as many as 13 points today. The Wildcats are 232-5 under Calipari when leading by at least 10 points during a game.
· Kevin Knox scored 25 points, 16 of them coming in the second half. He shot 8 of 16 from the field.
· It was his team-leading 10th game with 20 or more points.
· It was his team-leading 28th game with 10 or more points.
· Knox failed to make a 3-pointer for the first time in 12 games.
· Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, after a slow start, finished with 19 points, a career-high eight rebounds, seven assists and a career-high five steals.
· After starting 1 for 8 from the floor, he made four of his next five shots and scored 17 points in the second half.
· His five steals are tied for the fourth most in an NCAA Tournament game by a Wildcats
· PJ Washington scored 11 points, all in the first half, marking the sixth time he reached double-figures in a first half this season, and the first time since Feb. 20 at Arkansas.
· Hamidou Diallo scored eight points.
· He blocked a career-high three shots.
· Sacha Killeya-Jones posted eight points and grabbed six rebounds.
· His eight points were his most since scoring eight vs. Louisville on Dec. 29.
· His six rebounds were his most since grabbing eight vs. ETSU on Nov. 17.
Coach John Calipari
· Calipari has a 718-203 all-time on-court record.
· Calipari is now 274-63 at Kentucky.
· Calipari is 52-17 in the NCAA Tournament games.
· Calipari is 27-6 in NCAA Tournament games at UK.