Monday, February 6, 2017

Kentucky Player Pre-LSU Press Conference QUOTES



#3, Bam Adebayo, Freshman, F:

On the mood in the locker room …
“It’s the same as usual, you know we’re just having a tough time and we’re going to get past it.”

On his play individually …
“They’re emphasizing on me and they are going to double team. That’s about it. I just gotta come out with the same energy I always have and hopefully it will change.”

On what looks different on tape now compared to a few weeks ago …
“Our energy and enthusiasm. Just coming out with that intensity. Every game matters. We came out a little lackadaisical in our last games and it hurt us.”

On why UK was outrebounded on Saturday …
“I don’t know. We were missing shots that we should of made and they were just making all of theirs. That’s pretty much how you sum up rebounding.”

On taking the rebounding margin personally …
“You should always as a team fully take it personal. I took it personal because I don’t like getting outrebounded by anybody. It’s the way it happened. Onto the next game and better luck.”

On what he is honing in on …
“Defense, rebounding, blocking shots. Just talking. When we talk, our defense was much better, so just more talking.” 

On the confidence of the team …
“We still have high confidence because it’s not the end of the world. It’s not the end of the season. We still have a couple more games left. We still have high hopes.”

On if he is surprised the fan base is down …
“I’m not surprised because it’s a tradition here. They’re used to winning.”

On the team right now …
“We’re just going through a phase right now. We’re humans. We’re just going through the phases and we’ll get back on track.”


On feeling a burden of getting more rebounds because the guards are struggling rebounding …
“We come to the huddle and are like ‘We need to get more rebounds. Everybody go box out and execute.’”

On if being outrebounded like last week was shocking …
“It shocked me, but we were missing shots and they were getting out on the break and making shots. That limited our rebounding.”

On staying positive …
“You can’t live in the past. You gotta just move forward and that’s what we’re doing.”

On if he likes running the zone …
“Whatever helps us win I’m fine with it. I’m not going to complain. It’s defense, as long as it helps us, I don’t have a problem.”

On if the zone will help …
“It offsets some of the other teams. So you know, they’ll get confused. They will think we’re in some kind of man, but we’re in zone. It’ll help us moving forward.”

On coming out strong against LSU …
“We just need to go out and have the same demeanor that we usually have. Go out, play ball, have fun and come up with the W.”

On Malik smiling at the end of the game …
“I don’t have a comment on that. That’s my brother, so I’m not going to throw him under the bus. They were singing happy birthday. He smiled. What would you do if a lot of people were singing happy birthday to you? You’re going to grin. It’s onto the next game.”






#5, Malik Monk, Freshman, G:

On the mood of the team …
“It’s weird. We’re a young team, never been in a situation like this. Just have to fight through it. It’s just a weird situation right now.”

On smiling at the end of Kentucky’s loss at Florida when UF students sang “Happy birthday” …
“I mean, it caught me off guard, them doing that. We played bad. Winning is on my mind from the jump. So, if anybody took that wrong I’m sorry for that, but that was clever from them to do that. It was funny to me, but I shouldn’t laugh at that moment because I knew cameras were on me.”

On if Coach Calipari was tough on him …
“Yeah, of course, he’s always tough on me.”

On it blowing up on social media the way it did …
“I knew it was going to be something because we’re at Kentucky and Cal told me that before. The cameras always on us. But I knew it was going to blow up.”

On how soon he realized it had become something …
“As soon as we got to the locker room Cal wanted to meet with us right after.”

On assistant coach Tony Barbee saying the guards need to rebound more …
“Way more. It’s basically me. He should have said me. I just gotta stick my head in the lane and stay in the lane way more instead of leaking out.”

On if the coaches want him on the offensive glass as well …
“Any kind of rebound, just stick my head in there and leave whenever I need to, when I feel like (it’s) the right time to leave. Just play the feel of the ball.”

On how much rebounding he did in high school …
“I rebounded a lot. In high school I had to because we’d lose every game if I didn’t rebound. But Cal is telling me right now we’re going to lose every game if I don’t start rebounding right now. So, I just gotta pick it up.”

On if it bugs him that someone would question whether it hurts him to lose games …
“I mean, not really. People are going to think what they think. I’m just looking past that.”

On what’s wrong with this team right now …
“That’s what we have to figure out right now. Today we got time for that. Play tomorrow. Then we got a couple more practices. We got time to figure it out, so that’s what we gotta figure out.”

On what he hears when he hears Coach Cal talk about “cute plays” …
“That’s trying to make the extra no-look (pass), stuff like that. But we’re going to play hard, make mistakes and stuff like that. He just wants the superstar plays or ESPN top-10 plays out of the way.”

On if he is guilty of making cute plays …
“Yeah, of course. But that’s what he’s talking about. I gotta get away from it.”

On what the level of confidence is on the team …
“I think our confidence is still pretty high, but like I said before, we got a lot of things to work on and that’s why we’re here today.”

On if he understands that the cameras are always on him …
“Yeah, of course. As soon as it happened I think I knew pictures and stuff would be up. But like I said, cameras are always on me, Cal said that – he told me before I got here that cameras would be on me. I just gotta watch what I’m doing.”

On how surprised he was that the fans sang “Happy birthday” to him …
“It caught me off guard. That’s really the main reason I laughed because it caught me off guard. It was a funny, clever thing that the fans did.”

On how much it hurts them to not be able to practice together because of the sicknesses …
“It takes away our comfortableness. Like, with (De’Aaron) Fox we didn’t know how much he’d play or anything like that. But that’s not an excuse. We still lost. We still got beat on almost everything. So, we just gotta come out to practice and focus.”

On what he’s thought of UK’s zone defense lately …
“We’ve been working on zone a lot this year. Coach Barbee said we could be a good (zone) team if we keep communicating and stuff like that. But I think our zone looks pretty good.”


No comments:

Post a Comment