Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Andrew Wiggins can play









  Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending a closed practice of Huntington Prep in Huntingon WV. Huntington Prep, as many of you know, is the high school home of one Mr. Andrew Wiggins, and incase you didn't already know, Andrew is pretty good.  



   First off, let me start by thanking Coach Rob Fulford and his staff for allowing us to attend his teams practice. In my opinion, it would be hard to find a nicer, more down to earth bunch guys than coach Fulford and his staff. The staff took time, answered any questions we had, and generally made us feel right at home. So thanks again guys. 


   Now to the reason anyone would go to see a Huntington Prep practice, Andrew Wiggins. I have heard a lot of people say different things when describing Andrew, but one that keeps coming up is " he's the best high school player since LeBron James". Even though I didn't get a chance to see LeBron in person during his high school career, I did watch a lot of video of him then. And I got to admit, that comparison isn't far off, this kid just oozes talent. Everything he does on the court just looks completely effortless. From doing a simple crossover, to pulling up and draining jumpers from well beyond three point range, Andrew just makes it look easy. We stayed for the entire hour of practice, and I don't think the kid missed more than two or three shots the whole time. He's quick from one end of the floor to the other, and has a very good handle with the ball. When Andrew dunks the ball, the kid is looking down on the rim. Very impressive. 


    One thing I noticed,  is Andrew is a very humble kid, and doesn't seem to have any attitude what so ever when it comes to listening to his coach. That goes for the entire Huntington Prep team, they are a very disciplined team, and you can tell by watching them practice. Everyone on the team is constantly encouraging the other teammates, and push each other hard on every drill. I think that speaks volumes to what kind of coach Rob Fulford is and the staff he has. They work on everything from the basics of setting a screen, running a pick and roll, pick and pop, to having each player practice taking a charge. This was one of the most technical practice sessions I have seen in a long time.  It was a true pleasure to watch to say the least. 


   I didn't get a chance to speak with Andrew while I was there, but I can tell you this. Whichever school on his list is lucky enough to land him will not only be getting the best player in the country, but they will also be getting a good student, a well coached athlete, and an all around good kid. 


    Living just across the bridge from Huntington in Ashland, Kentucky, I really hope I get the chance to watch this kid in a few games this season. Because lets be honest, how often do you get to watch the best player in the country five minutes from your house? 

No comments:

Post a Comment