Monday, April 4, 2011

One and Done

I know a lot has been written on the "one and done" players at Kentucky, and peoples displeasure with so many leaving early. But Kentucky fans knew what kind of talent John Calipari would be bringing in year in and year out, the best of the best. And they seemed to have no problem with it the day he was hired. Now that he has been here two years, he has put 4 freshman into the NBA(Wall,Cousins,Orton, and Bledsoe) and I wouldn't have it any other way.


Everyone who knows anything about basketball knew that John Wall was a one year player. The surprise was the departure of fellow freshman Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton, and Eric Bledsoe. At the start of the season last year, none of the coaches thought that Cousins, Orton, or Bledsoe would be improved enough to leave for the draft after one year. But at seasons end, all had reached a level of play where they could go on to the next level. That just speaks volumes of how John Calipari can develop players over the course of a season, and also shows why he can attract the type of talent he does at Kentucky.


But looking back on last year, if you were told that coming off a bid to the NIT you could make it to the Elite Eight and have one of the best teams in the country, but 4 freshman would leave for the draft at seasons end, I bet everyone would welcome that idea with open arms.


Now here we are again this year hearing rumors of players leaving early for the draft, and people complaining that we need some to stay to have experience. I don't buy that at all, to quote John Calipari "given the choice of experience or talent, I'll take talent every time" and I believe that. What good is experience if they aren't at the talent level of the opposing team? What good is experience if they just aren't that good? Now I know what some will say, "get a few NBA ready guys, mixed with some that will stay". I say screw that, give me 10 players ranked in the top 25 out of high school, and you take a team of "veterans" and I guarantee I win 8-10 games.


I hate the "one and done rule" I say either let them go out of high school, or make them stay at least two years in college. The rule is hurting the NBA just as bad as its hurting the college game. But since it doesn't look like the rule is going to change, I say take advantage of it while it's here. Go out, get the BEST of the BEST and coach them the best you can. If they leave for the NBA then just reload like Calipari has been doing.


I know some say that "freshman" will never win you a championship, but believe me when I say this. It's just a matter of time before a dominately freshman led team will win a championship, and it's just foolish to think other wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment