Monday, January 23, 2017

Kentucky Pre-Tennessee Interview Quotes



#15, Isaac Humphries, Sophomore, Forward

On Coach Cal bragging about how well he played against South Carolina …
“Yeah, I didn’t hear anything, but if he is that’s good. I just think that, like I said a couple weeks ago, I was just trying to get out of my little funk. Yeah, I think I have. I’m, honestly, just trying to do better every game.”

On if he’s trying to think less and just play …
“Yeah, for sure. Like I said, I’m trying to not think any further than just the game on the day and that’s what it is. Just what I need to do in that game, how I can get better from last game, and that’s all for me. Not looking ahead at anything else.”

On how much better he feels about his game …
“I just feel a lot more confident, honestly. I trust myself more, I feel more comfortable out there. I just needed a little bit to get me going. I think I’m good now.”

On being more aggressive …
“For a little bit there, as I was trying to find my footing, it disappeared. That was a big issue for me. I had to kind of find it again. Through practicing and trying to get like that in practice, it came back and I’m starting to feel more comfortable with being aggressive and stuff like that.”

On his defensive development …
“I’m trying to just be active and stay in control and active on the ball-screen defense. Just bouncing and trying to be aggressive, again, on defense because you gotta be aggressive on defense as well. Trying to see both, both my man and the ball, and just trying to be aware of everything as opposed to just my guy and helping my teammates. I did have that little stint where I was just worried about my guy and not trusting myself that I can help and get back. Now I’ve gotten into it a bit and I’m comfortable with helping off my man. That’s what I’ve been working on, on defense.”

On what he remembered about last year’s game at Tennessee …
“I remember it being just a crazy atmosphere, obviously. I mean, everywhere we go it’s a crazy atmosphere. It was just a strange series of events that went down. We were up 20 and then – was it an overtime game? [Reporter: You lost in regulation.] Wow. That would kind of make it better if it was overtime. [Laughter.] I just remember it being a good atmosphere and obviously they’re a good team this year. I’m excited to play them and redeem ourselves from last year.”

On if he can see himself being a great player in 2-3 years …
“Yeah, I think so. I can see such development here. It’s crazy how everyone changes in such a short period of time. It’s just crazy to think about three, four years, but like I said, I’m not thinking about three, four years. I’m thinking about every game.”

On how often he goes against Wenyen Gabriel in practice and the development he’s seen from him …
“I go against him not a lot, but enough for him to have that experience with the big guys because, you’re right, he does go against Derek (Willis) most of the time. But we’ll be switched on each other or I’ll be playing the four and I’ll be guarding him in practice. Me being aggressive with him helps him, like you said, and you’re right, he has been playing really well. I think he’s just finding his footing and he’s finally figuring it all out for himself. I mean, he’s a freshman, he’s young – he’s probably older than me, I think he is (laughter), but he’s a freshman and it does take some time, but I think he’s figuring it out now.”

On how it helps him to defend Gabriel …
“Yeah, our different games help each other in practice and all that sort of stuff. But it’s like everyone here. Going against everyone here we get better. So, it’s just what it is.”

On what Bam Adebayo can be when he starts demanding the ball and how often he hears associate head coach Kenny Payne telling him to do that …
“Yeah, all the time, because when the ball is thrown in the post something good happens, so why wouldn’t we continuously do that? It comes from specifically what you’re talking about: Bam calling for the ball more and stuff like that. So, I think just demanding it and wanting it helps all of us because it creates everything for everyone else.”

On how different of a team they are without De’Aaron Fox …
“We’re obviously different because it’s different personnel, but I think it’s like the other day, we handled it fine. I think (Dominique Hawkins) played the point and he’s fine with it. He plays the point in practice. He slows it down a bit. He controls it. It’s just a different sort of style of play, and we have to adjust to it. It’s fine. We adapt on the run, and it’s all good.”

On why he thinks Adebayo doesn’t demand the ball …
“I mean, he obviously wants the ball, and we all want the ball, but we’re taught to be so unselfish and it’s a team thing here. It’s not about what am I doing for myself. That’s what we’ve been instilled with from day one. Honestly, I think it’s just that. I think it’s just the unselfishness of our team, everyone is happy for each other, whether we’re scoring or not.”

On Kenny Payne saying Tennessee is a team that can beat Kentucky …
“Because they have in the past, A, and two, I think they’re a really good team this year. I think anyone can beat us. If we don’t bring it anyone can beat us. They shouldn’t, but they can.”












#32, Wenyen Gabriel, Freshman, Forward

On the difference in his game …
“I think I’ve built some more confidence recently, knocking down some more shots. I feel like I’m playing my game now and everything’s just starting to come to me now.”

On whether he envisioned taking eight 3s in a game when he came to UK …
“I had those type of expectations at first. Obviously things changed at first, going through learning curves, but I’m coming back, building my confidence again as usual and kind of finding my role on the team. I’m just excited right now.”

On whether taking so many 3s is an illustration of his confidence …
“I feel like every single one is going to go in, so that’s why I’m shooting. Trying to make every shot that I’m taking.”

On the difference between high school and college …
“It’s a big change. Everything – the jump from high school to college – is real different. The physicality, the speed. You gotta learn the game real quick. You gotta learn how to play really fast now. Learning to share and play together is something we’re getting used to now as freshmen and I think we’re becoming better as a team.”

On whether college is a whole new way of playing …
“A lot carries over. I feel like we just gotta adjust how we play to the college game. My skill obviously carries over. Just being able to use that during the game and use my energy. You learn how to play harder at this level.”

On throwing his weight around more of late …
“I’m kind of just learning. Learning how I can use my weight to my advantage. It’s not always about your size. I know I’m strong. I use my strength in different ways.”

On Derek Willis’ improvement and whether the two of them face each other in practice …
“It’s funny, we don’t usually go up against each other in practice. We’ll be against different teams, but sometimes he’ll be playing the three on the other team and he’ll be playing the four or I’m three on the other team. So we’ll switch off like that. That might just be a coincidence that we both started playing good at the same time.”

On who he goes against in practice and if anyone has helped him improve …
“I’ve been going against Sacha (Killeya-Jones). I go against Isaac. I’ll be battling against the bigs, too. Sometimes I’ll get switched and I have to guard Tai (Wynyard). I think that’s probably what helped my rebounding lately. I learned how to use my strength against those big guys down low.”

On what he expects at Tennessee …
“I expect every game to be a dogfight. To be playing at Kentucky, I expect everybody’s best. I just go out there and try to play my best every game.”


No comments:

Post a Comment