Tuesday, October 15, 2013

FULL Players Transcript From Media Day



#00 Marcus Lee, Fr., F

On John Calipari calling him a young Dennis Rodman ...

"I pride myself on defense and getting the job done, that's what is needed on the team. I saw we were extremely great offensively, and I tried to find a place for myself. I knew I could make a big impact defensively. You don't really have to work on it; you just have to have the pride to do it. Getting through that, I can bring the team together and work through it so we can all have it whole."

On if the level of competition is higher defensively ...

"It's definitely higher. Going through high school we've probably all been the guy where we've sagged off, not really done much and kind of helped where we're needed. Now that we're here, we have to battle every two seconds, because if we don't battle, we'll slip up, someone will get a dunk, and we're going the other way, already in trouble. We've learned here that we have to battle every moment, every second, so we can get the ball back and just keep working."

On if the team deserves the expectations and attention ...

"Right now, I have no idea. I couldn't tell you at all, I just know we've been working as hard as we've worked ever in our lives. I've been here maybe two extra months and I've never worked so hard in my life."

On keeping the teammates together, united ...

"I just try to keep our team together, even if we're away or not with each other all the time. I'll send tweets or text messages to all the players and all the coaches, just to make sure we're not forgetting who we are and we're always together. They all get excited when I text them randomly and it kind of makes their day and gets them ready for practice."

On going undefeated ...

"Since I've been here, we haven't talked about it at all, we've just talked about getting better and progressing as a team and learning as much as possible.

#1 James Young, Fr., G


On how things have been going ...

“I’ve been really excited about the practices. Everybody is learning how to play with each other and it’s really exciting.”

On how he feels like he is practicing ...

“I feel like I am going good. I am just trying to get better day-by-day. I feel like I can still do a little more.”

On if he feels overshadowed by the guys on this team ...

“Not at all. I feel like I am just doing me. I am just trying to play my game.”

On what he considers his game to be ...

“Score. I am starting to get better rebounding the ball.”

On if he has a dance planned for Big Blue Madness ...

“I have been thinking about it, but I don’t think I am.”

On what he is expecting from Big Blue Madness ...

“I was here last year, and it was crazy. I feel like it’s going to be the same thing this year.”

On coach John Calipari comparing him to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ...

“I’m just trying to be a team leader. I am just trying to be me.”

#2 Aaron Harrison, Fr., G


On if he’s looking forward to a certain game... “I’m looking forward to every game, getting to play on TV a lot. I didn’t really get a chance to do that when I was in high school. I’m pretty much excited for every game.”


On practices... “They’re really intense. You have to go hard, like I said before. You just have to be ready for war every time because we’re just trying to fight for playing time and fight for respect.”


On if he’s a perfectionist... “I expect to make every shot even though I know it’s not possible. I expect everything to be perfect even though I know it’s not always going to go perfect. I think I’m a perfectionist.”


On being undefeated for the season... “We don’t talk about it. Of course it’d be great to win every game and that’s what we want to do. We think we can, but anything can happen in basketball. If it happens that would be great, but if it doesn’t that’s not our goal. We just want to get better.”


On how he and Andrew were raised... “My parents really didn’t let us get away with much when we were younger. They were always tough on us about the little things and details because that’s what mattered.”


#3 Jarrod Polson, Sr., G


On how he feels going into season...I feel probably more confident than I ever have before. I really put in a lot of work. I have gained a lot of confidence from last year getting in the games and stuff. I’m not backing down from anyone and I’m just trying my best.”


On what he is focusing on for this season ...I’m just trying to get the team together. We have so much talent this year but we don’t have very much experience this year at all. I think my biggest thing will probably be when I’m on the court will be trying to get everybody together. As far as individual skill wise just be a knockdown shooter, play good defense, and stuff like that.”

On how he feels about everything he is doing being his last ...

“Yeah it is kind of different. They were asking me what I was going to do for Big Blue Madness and I was like wow this is really my last one. I mean four years have gone by pretty quickly here. I am just going to try to do enjoy it the best I can.”

On if anyone has surprised him ...

“I mean it’s hard to put out one player but all the new guys have really surprised me. They’re all really talented in there own ways. The returners like Alex (Poythress), Willie (Cauley-Stein) and (Jon) Hood have gotten so much better. Its just really exciting.”

#4 Jon Hood, Sr. G


On what has stood out in practice more with this team compared to teams in the past ...

“This year we are having a lot of fun in practice.”

On what his thoughts are going into his final season ...

“This year is all about fun for me, if it’s not for that then there is no reason to play the game.”

On if the Louisville game sticks out more than any other game ...

“No, not at all, it is just another game.”

On player competition in practice for playing time ...

“There is player competition here every year, this year we are stacked at every position, we are just ready to play someone besides us.”

On what he needs to individually do to get better ...

“(I need to) be good defensively and rebound, if you can do those two things, the coaches have to play you.”

#5 Andrew Harrison, Fr., G


On how practice has gone thus far ...

“As of now it’s going great. No one cares about scoring we are just trying to play as a team. The biggest difference between high school practice and practices (at Kentucky) is they are much more competitive. Everyone is on your level so you have to be a leader, step up and be challenged every day. I think that’s the biggest difference. I try leading by example. No one is going to follow if you say what you’re going to do and don’t do it. We have to play. Our practices are very intense. Everyone wants to win every drill, and every sprint. What is crazy about it is you have to actually be mentally prepared for practice because it’s pretty much a war. I’m excited for practice every day because I know we are going to get into it and it’s going to be like a real game. You definitely have to learn, the first few practices are definitely the hardest. Sometimes you don’t feel like practicing, but once you get in there and you see the competitiveness you can’t do anything but bring up the level. I’ve been playing against a lot of my teammates since I’ve been nine or 10-years old so I know them. That made it a little easier to adjust.”

On being compared to past point guards who played in college for John Calipari ...
“Being compared to a lot of those guys is great, but at the same time I have a lot of work to do to be on those guys’ level. I have to be in the gym, and we have to win. That’s the most important thing is winning.”

On what Coach Calipari has him working on ...

“He has been getting on me about pushing the ball, so that’s what I’m working on right now. We have had a lot of really good practices. I think we are pretty good right now, but we can always get better. With me and Aaron (Harrison) he talks a lot about speed. He sees everything on every play. If you even don’t cut hard when you know you’re not going to get the ball he’s definitely going to let you know. You have to play hard on every play.”

On dealing with expectations ...

“You can’t really worry about expectations because that just comes from people that have nothing to do with you or your teammates. I’m pretty aware. I used to watch Kentucky basketball whenever it was on TV. I’m pretty aware, but we can’t really compare ourselves to teams of the past. We have to be ourselves. You just have to become better, be yourself and make sure your teammates are playing together.”

#15, Willie Cauley-Stein, So., F


On the responsibilities of being considered a veteran...

“Last year you could kind of sit back and watch what other people were doing. This year you are that person that other people are watching so you have to make sure you are doing the right things. If other people know that you are doing the right things, they can do what you’re doing.”

On how his hand has been since returning to practice...

“It still hurts quite a bit, but it’s not that much of a bother. I kind of forget about it when I’m playing until I hit it against something and realize that it still hurts. Other than that, it’s not that big of a deal.”

On if Coach Calipari seems extra excited to get this year going...

“I think he’s just excited to start again after the way we left last year. It left a bad taste in everybody’s mouth. He was probably the most hurt out of all of us. He probably is really excited to try to start something new and do better than last year.”

On if he likes being in the spotlight...

“It is fun to me now that I know how to do it. Not knowing how to be in the spotlight is the worst battle.”

On if he keeps his emotions from last season in mind...

“I flushed it a long time ago. It is something that happened and you can’t really dwell on it. You have to move on and work to be better.”

#22, Alex Poythress, So., F


On how he will be a different player this year compared to last...
“I have a whole different demeanor. Just the way I approach the game. I am trying to be more aggressive out there as well as be more vocal and more of a leader.”

On how he would evaluate his freshman year...

“It was a pretty good year freshman year, but it could have been better. I am just trying to make strides for this year.”

On how the team chemistry is with all of the new guys...

“The chemistry is there. Everybody loves playing with each other. You can see how people are picking up playing with each other in practice.”

On what kind of leadership he can provide to the team...

“I feel like my responsibility is to let them know what lies ahead of them. Just give them insight and guidance whenever they need it.”

On the level of competition in practice...

“The competition this year is real good. Everyone is competing against somebody. Player battles are very good at every position.”

On the hunger for success after experiencing last season...

“We don’t want to end up like we did last year. It is a new year and we just want to do bigger and better things. We want to excel from what we did last year.”

On his individual improvement from last year...

“I improved on a lot of things. I feel like I improved my ball handling and mid range jumper. I’m learning how to drive past people better. I’m just being more active out there so I feel like it is going to be a good year this year.”

#25 Dominique Hawkins, Fr., F


On Coach Calipari’s comment about his effort in practice the previous day...

“Yeah, I did feel like it was my best practice because I was making a lot of good shots and I was defending pretty well and I was putting all my effort in.”

On how much Jon (Hood) and Jarrod (Polson) have helped him adjust to playing at Kentucky...

“They have helped me out a lot to be honest because they are veterans. They help me out if I forget a play or anything like how this drill is suppose to go. They help me anytime I need it.”

On the difference between playing in high school and playing in college...

“During high school the weight room is not really that serious, we are just lifting dumbbells or whatever. Then coming up to college it’s serious, the training is. We’re doing different things that I’ve never done before and it’s helping me out and making me a lot stronger. The biggest adjustment is not being around my family a lot. Now I have to be responsible for everything I do.”

On who he thinks he is...

“I am just trying to find my role for the team to be successful. Just trying to get better each and every day that I am at practice.”

On how he feels he has improved...

“Oh a lot! I feel like everyday in practice I’m improving because those (Harrison twins) are the top point guards in the nation and I have to go against them every day on offense and defense so it is definitely making me better.”

#30 Julius Randle, Fr., F


On transition to college life so far ...

“It is a little bit hectic. Here, they love basketball. Where I am from (Texas), basketball has really grown but it is mostly known as a football state. To see all these people out here and all the media attention and stuff like that it is not something you can really be prepared for until you experience it.”

On Aaron and Andrew Harrison and their differences on and off the court ...

“I have been playing against them since the fifth grade, and I have always been able to tell them apart for sure. I think it would be better for them to answer what they are good at. They are both really great players. Their games are a little bit different, but they are both great players.”

On Coach Calipari saying he could play away from the basket this season and if that is why he choose Kentucky ... “Yeah, for sure. I think the freedom that Cal offers us is one of the big things that attracted me here. I know I trusted him when I came here and knew it was the best fit for me.”


On what he needs to work on the most to play on the perimeter ...

“In workouts I pretty much work on everything from shooting the ball, shooting the ball off the dribble, coming to one-two stops, shooting floaters right- and left-handed. Just have to keep working on that stuff and be patient enough to know it will work out.”

On how much Coach Calipari talks to him about developing the right hand ...

“A lot. A lot. He knows how teams are going to try to defend me. I trust him enough from his experiences. He talks about it a lot.”

On Coach Calipari’s coaching style ...

“He is not going to tell you everything you want to hear. But at the end of the day you know it is what is best for you. I came here because I trusted him so I am going to do what he says. It can be difficult because you want to do things your own way, but from what I have learned so far in practice if you keep working on it and working on it the way he teaches you to do it then it starts to work out and you start getting good at it.”

On what his expectations are for this team this season ...

“I am not for sure, it seems we have a really good team, but I can’t speak on that until we go out there and play then I will have a better feel for it. I feel like we are going to be good and we have a lot of talent, but we are everybody’s big game, so we will see when we go out there.”

#35 Derek Willis, Fr., F

On being matched up against Julius Randle every day in practice ...

“(It’s) good for me you know, I really like it. He’s a super physical player. He’s really strong, and he’s going to be really good so it’s really good for me to play against him everyday.”

On surprising John Calipari in the early practices ...

“I’m more of the under-the-radar type of guy. Kids coming in didn’t know what I could do but now they can see that I can play a little bit, and I’m just trying feel myself out on this team and I think it’s going well.”

On the whole experience so far ...

“It’s been great. The fans are great. We always stop and talk to them. The whole grind of it all, the practices have been really tough and this is probably one of the hardest things I have done basketball-wise in my life.”

On what he needs to work on to improve ...

“Strength. I feel like physically I can’t really body up with people, and I’m not really mature yet physical-wise so probably just getting stronger and that comes with a lot of work.”

#44 Dakari Johnson, Fr., C


On what he’s looking to improve in his game...

“My quickness and speed, each and every day I’m trying to work on running the floor. I’m working on getting the ball up quicker to the basket. I think I’m doing pretty well so far, but I just want to continue to improve.”

On how well everyone on the team has gelled together...

“We are working well together. We all know how to play with each other and I think we are doing a good job of that so far. We have to take it one day at a time and continue to get better.”

On getting into better shape since he’s been on campus...

“I feel a lot different. I’m getting up and down the floor much better and I’m having a good time. I’m much lighter on my feet, and I feel quicker.”

On how practice has been going so far...

“Practices have been good so far, I’m really pushing myself. It’s not easy. Each day you have to come in with the mindset that you are going to get through it, but I think it’s making me a better player.”

On if anyone has surprised him in practice...

“All of them really. I like playing with all of them and everyone is better than I expected. Each day we are pushing each other and practices are tough. That’s the main reason I came here, is to get better each and every day. I get to practice against someone my size or bigger every day, so I’m learning how to play against the best.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment